Tell the Prime Minister that global pandemics need a global response.
Here are the facts:
- There are more than 1 million cases of Covid in Africa;
- Because of Covid: at least 71 million is at risk of getting pushed into extreme poverty;
- Because of Covid: the number of people at risk of hunger could double;
- Because of Covid: 117 million children are at risk of missing vaccinations for preventable diseases;
- Because of Covid: 31 million additional cases of gender-based violence;
- Because of Covid: education in Africa plummeted. 80% of African students don’t have access to the internet, so when schools closed because of Covid-19, education stopped; and
- And to top it all off, despite promising to work on a coordinated global response: Rich countries (including Canada) rushed to buy up supplies of possible vaccines, putting poorer countries at risk of not getting any vaccines.
Canada should invest 1% of our total Covid spending to the global response to the pandemic. Our Government acted fast to invest in Canada’s response and recovery. Putting Canadians first is important, but a global pandemic needs a global response. Without investing in global solutions, COVID-19 will keep threatening Canada’s economy and our health.
Time is running out. Our government needs to act now.
Sign our petition telling the Government of Canada that a global pandemic needs a global response.
Dear Prime Minister,
We call on the Government of Canada to commit at least 1% of its total COVID response to a global response that tackles the spread of the virus and its secondary impacts in the poorest countries.